Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tom Ka (thai coconut soup)

This is one of my favorite soups. Lots of flavors, and coconut milk is always delicious in my book. I make it with tofu, but you could sub chicken or shrimp.


I had a recipe for this years ago, but now I just make it to taste. Here's what I include:

base
5 c chicken broth
1 can light coconut milk
3 T fish sauce

spices-- all of these are to your taste, I probably use at least 1 T of each
lemongrass
garlic, minced
ginger
red chili paste or sauce, or a hot sauce like Sriracha
lime juice
cilantro

veggies:
cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or just tomato slices
white mushrooms (i look for small ones so there's no need to slice and they stay juicy)
green beans (fresh if possible)

meat:
precooked chicken, shrimp, or extra firm tofu

Mix everything together except for the cilantro and tomatoes, bring to a boil. Keep boiling until the mushrooms are tender. Add tomatoes, cilantro, and meat towards end.

If you're adding tofu, press/pat it dry. Then slice the block into 4 slices lengthwise. Brush both sides with olive oil and broil, flipping once (usually about 15-20 mins total, until golden brown). Slice into bite size pieces.

 

1 comment:

Joe Buck said...

LOVE Tom Ka. and this looks like a pretty tasty and simple recipe. I'm going to have to check it out.