Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tasty Travels

Go figure that one of my favorite parts about traveling is trying new food. But my memories aren't only about the food itself... When I look at the photos, I can remember where I was sitting, how the air smelled, what the temperature was, the noises around me, who I was enjoying the experience with, and overall -- how incredibly happy I felt. Here are some photos from some trips I've taken in the last few years, both near and far.

Honduras

A $1 breakfast plate in the coastal town of Tela.  Scrambled eggs, refried beans, fried plantains, tortillas, pork, pickled onions, & salty white cheese. We ate this while waiting for the bus to head back to San Pedro Sula.

Fresh fish sticks on the island of Roatan. We ate at a table outside while a stray cat kept us company.
Wahoo fish that Jamie caught. Lonnie (other guy in photo) cooked it up for us the next day -- bbq style and grilled with lemon. 


Mangosteen fruit.  Sadly, it has too much sugar to send to the U.S. without it spoiling before arrival.


San Antonio, TX

Beef brisket with pickles and yellow mustard.


 Tamale & taco plate down by the River Walk.


Grand Cayman

Blackened mahi mahi with pasta.  This was the first stop on our honeymoon cruise.


Cozumel, Mexico

Fish tacos. This was the second stop on our honeymoon.  We ate on the beach while watching a big soccer game.


Chicago

Ethiopian food (but can't remember the dish names!).  I was visiting my buddy Angie.

 Breakfast burrito.


Milwaukee

Cuban beef and potato stew.


Portland, OR

Sushi rolls with my buddies Erin and Dan.


Seattle, WA  

Carne asada with pico de gallo, white cheese, quac, and beans.

Roasted pork cooked in banana leaf. 


Victoria, BC

Fresh halibut, sold by a stand right on the pier.

 Dungeness crab plus steak.

Crab leg, scallops, and steak.


New York City

Guacamole & plantain chips.  This trip was to celebrate my cousin Sarah's bachelorette days with her sister (and my cousin) Hannah, who lives there.

Arepa with fried plantains, avocado, & salty white cheese.

 Gruppo Pizza

 Ribs with an Asian twist.

 Italian appetizers. This meal was part of a scavenger hunt we were on.

Thai coconut tofu, mushroom, & cabbage dish. 

Jumbo scallop.

Saving the best for last -- Lobster Roll! 

No comments: