Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Simpsons make fun of food blogs. I keep eating.

I was watching the Simpsons the other night and the whole show was ripping on food blogs. I couldn't believe my luck! I should be embarrassed (and perhaps am a little bit), but I can't stop laughing. Please listen/see the Simpsons rap about it here.

Next, you should know that my husband Jamie (aka Karp Dawg) and I go out to eat way too much. It's really the only part of our spending habits where we could actually save money. But, we don't. And I can't hide that if I'm going to have a food blog! 

So, here's last weekend summarized by our dinners.

FRIDAY NIGHT:
We live in Wisconsin. And if it's Friday night in Wisconsin... there's a 99% chance you're going out for a fish fry. We met some friends out for dinner. One of them had a bandaid on his head (he was attacked by a bat):


But, bat attacks are beside the point. The point is the fish fry at Avenue Bar. This bar has consistently been voted "Best Fish Fry in Madison." The wait time for a table definitely supports this. While you wait, you have a BRANDY OLD FASHIONED, SWEET, of course. The Old Fashioneds are made the way they should be, with muddled fruit and strength.

After a long wait (and one too many strong drinks), it's time to get down with some fish. Karp Dawg and I shared the fish fry and the fish boil. Now, I have been to the Avenue before, and have left underwhelmed and wondering why they get awards. But, this Friday, they were spot on and both plates were amazing. 


SATURDAY NIGHT:
We had a LivingSocial deal to use at The Old Feed Mill in Mazomanie, WI. This historic building has concrete walls paired with huge wooden beams wrapped in white lights. Candles are the only other lighting... which explains why my food photos suck, although the ambiance is quite romantic. Since my photos aren't the best, I added the menu descriptions of what we got. 

MAPLE STUFFED PORK
Tender frenched pork loin, bone in. Stuffed with maple stuffing and sausage, topped with a garlic cream sauce served with your choice of potato, and seasonal vegetables.

BOURBON MARINATED FLAT IRON STEAK
Steeped in Kentucky bourbon marinade and grilled to perfection. Topped with Hooks bleu cheese, served with choice of potato and seasonal vegetables.

And for dessert, BREAD PUDDING with vanilla and cinnamon icecream.

I would most certainly go back to this restaurant.

No comments: